Drinking 2 litres of water may be a herculean task for people like me. I have been trying to drink 2 liters of water everyday for quite sometime. However due to my nature and my job profile combined with many other factors I have been finding it extremely difficult to reach the magical figure of 2 liters.
I have been surviving with less than 1 litre of water for ages until one fine day I had severe pain in my back and was diagnosed with kidney stones. Since then, I have been trying to increase my water intake to get rid of the kidney stones as well as to prevent more from forming..
Try the following 7 steps to positively increase your water intake and drink atleast 2 litres of water a day.
Benefits of Drinking Warm Water in the Morning
The bacteria in your mouth gets accumulated over the night which is considered good for your stomach. Taking in warm water first thing in the morning helps these bacteria to reach your stomach.
Three glasses of water will also help to hydrate your body to the required levels as during the night your body have been steadily losing water as you breath out. Your urine become clearer and you will feel energised.
The 7 Step Plan to Drink 10-12 Glasses of Water
- Drink three glasses of warm water after you wake up (0.6 litre). This will help to cleanse your system.
- Drink a glass of water after your morning exercise or yoga. I generally do a small run followed by 20 minutes of yoga. I have to leave for office at 07:30 AM, therefore, this is the only luxury I can afford in the morning. However if you manage to workout for longer and sweat more, then you must drink enough to compensate for the loss.
- Have one glass of water with breakfast. If you are overweight then drink the water before breakfast as this helps you eat less and cut down on the calories you take in.
- One glass of water, sometime between breakfast and lunch. If you can manage two glasses of water during this time it’s more than enough.
- One glass of water with lunch. It’s better not to drink water during the meals. Have it before or after the meals.
- Three glasses of water in the evening. If you are used to doing some activity during evening, for example, play some games like badminton, etc. you can consume 2 glasses of water before going for the games and one to two glasses after the games depending on how much you sweat.
- One glass of water before or after dinner.
Tweak this method to suit your water requirements.You can also count the number of tea, coffee or juices that you have consumed during the day to calculate your total intake of fluids.
Do not consume too much water late in the evening or at night. Empty your bladder before you go to bed. This will ensure that you get sound sleep during the night.
This strategy may sound obvious. But the problem is that most people don’t drink enough water even if they want to. At the end of the day, they realise they barely drank a litre of water the entire day. This is why you need to plan out your water intake in a sensible and practical manner. Don’t assume that you will remember to drink more water. Setting a timer to remind you to drink water is actually a good idea.
With a Masters in Food Science and Nutrition, Tilottama has carved a niche for herself in the Health Writing Industry. She is passionate about helping her readers make informed decisions about the food they eat. She believes in the healing power of food and in food as medicine. Tilottama is an editor and writer at Fitnesshacks.org.