This is an absolutely divine dish with juicy chicken breasts drenched in the goodness of a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce. This is a one-pan or one-skillet chicken mushroom recipe that saves you plenty of time and effort. If your chicken breasts are thawed and ready to go, then you can whip up this dish in less than 30 minutes.
For a healthy keto chicken breast recipe, I recommend skipping the wine and adding more broth and fresh cream. You can skip the dredging in flour part and instead marinate the chicken with some spices of your choice and fry.
How to Make Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine
- 2 (6 oz) chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
Salt – 1/4 tsp (adjust to your taste)
Pepper – 1 tsp
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
- Paprika – 1/4tsp
- Butter – 6 tablespoons
- Button mushrooms – 250 grams
- Onion – 1/2 of a medium onion
- Garlic – 4 minced cloves
- White wine – 1/2 cup
- Chicken broth -1 cup
- Cornstarch -2 tsp
- Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- Chopped cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Butterfly the chicken breasts – meaning slice horizontally and open each breast piece and open it like a butterfly or a heart shape. You can further pound this to make it into even thickness. You can cut each breast into 2, 4, or 6 pieces, as you wish
- Slice the mushrooms evenly lengthwise.
- Mix the cornstarch with some water or broth. Keep aside
- Set up your dredging station: Mix the flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika
Browning the chicken:
- Heat 4 tablespoons each of butter in a skillet till it all melts.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mix and coat well. Shake off any excess and place in the skillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes on one side and then turn and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and keep aside
- Cook the chicken pieces in batches till all of them are done. Add more butter if needed.
Make the mushroom and wine sauce:
- In the same skillet, add another 2 tablespoons of butter and heat. Add mushrooms and chopped onion.
- Cook till the mushroom and onion brown well and caramelize.
- Add minced garlic and saute till it also starts to brown. Add the wine and mix well. Scape the bottom of the skillet to deglaze the pan.
- Add chicken broth and the cornstarch solution. cook till the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the fried chicken and the chopped cilantro. Coat the chicken well with the mushroom sauce.
- Serve hot with a side of roasted broccoli and bell peppers.
Secret Chef Tips
Some secret tips from professional chefs that take this recipe to the next level:
- The secret to a juicy chicken breast: Brine your chicken first. Boil some water with salt and some seasonings such as peppercorns, cinnamon, and herbs. Cool the liquid and soak your chicken in this for an hour. Strain and take out your chicken.
- Buttermilk soak: To take the juiciness to the next level, you can consider another round of soaking in some buttermilk. This can be for an hour or even overnight (in the fridge). This will seal in the juices so that your chicken does not dry out during the remaining cooking process. additionally, the skillet now has flavorful bits of chicken which enhance the flavor of the sauce being cooked next. So do not clean the pan before the next step.
- Caramelize the mushrooms: Spread out the mushrooms and cook till they caramelize and brown on one side. Now flip them and cook till done.
- Use shallots: You can add some sliced shallots instead of chopped onion and caramelize them too. Allow the mushrooms to brown well on one side before adding the shallots.
- Deglaze the pan: When you add the wine or broth, scrape the bottom of the skillet to get all those itsy bits of brown goodness that make your sauce full of flavor.