I am slowly converting to a gluten-free diet due to my allergies and thyroid problems. I am also aiming to get into a ketogenic diet for its various health benefits including weight loss. I am making a lifestyle change here. To make it practical in the long run, I needed a collection of recipes that more or less resembles my normal day to day meal plans.
I need my bread, sandwiches, burgers, chapati or parathas, dosa with chutney and so on. If not, the lifestyle change is not sustainable. So I have set about experimenting with the various recipes from online to see what suits my taste buds the best and provides that comfort food factor – and is yet keto friendly and gluten free.
After plenty of experiments, only the best and the most successful recipes are published on Fitness Hacks.
Coconut Flat Bread or Keto Naan Recipe
1/2 cup /50 grams coconut flour
2 tbsp /8 grams psyllium husk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup water
Oil/ghee/butter for cooking
Note: Don’t omit Psyllium Husk as it is the ingredient that holds everything together! Substituting the psyllium husk with other ingredients like flax seed does not yield good results.
- Heat the water for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and then add enough water to form a dough which can be molded by hand.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes while the psyllium husk hydrates. Cut into 4 parts.
- Roll out the dough on parchment paper using your hands to spread it into a round flat shape. Put another parchment paper on top and use a roller to smoothen it out. Use a round shaped cutter or a lid to cut out a nice round shape.
- Heat a tbsp ghee/coconut oil/butter in a nonstick pan. Spread it on the pan and put the naan on it. This takes a while to cook through completely, so leave it on for a good two minutes before you flip sides.
- Cook on both sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy: Headbanger’s Kitchen
About the mages: The 1st image is normal naan. The second one is the keto naan.